Time Matters: 8 AM vs. 9 AM

Time to make a choice: would you rather have a traditional 8 AM school start time or an energized 9 AM school start time? The Edison community is buzzing with discussions as students weigh the pros and cons of these two options. Curiosity is in the air as we dig deep into the nitty-gritty details of this topic.

According to the CDC, many schools start too early, resulting in insufficient sleep for students and negative impacts on their well-being. Studies indicate that early start times disrupt natural sleep patterns, leading to lower academic performance, increased lateness, and potential health issues. (“Schools Start Too Early”, CDC).

“Starting at 9 AM we would be more focused, participate more, more awake, compared to right now,” said Ariana Chayka, an Edison student.

“I feel like it doesn’t give people who live far away from the school a chance to get to school on time without having to wake up extremely early, knowing how unreliable the MTA is,” said  John Obayomi, a student from Brooklyn who attends Edison.

It comes as no surprise that the overwhelming majority of surveyed Edison students (84.2%) are embracing the idea of a 9 AM start time, leaving a mere 15.8% in favor of the traditional 8 AM slot. These findings shed light on the students’ collective desire for a few precious extra moments of sleep, signaling their readiness to hit that snooze button and greet the day with a refreshed mindset.

Now, let’s turn our attention to the opposing viewpoint and hear from those who advocate for the traditional 8 AM school start time. 

“One good thing about school starting at 8:00 a.m. is that students are done with school earlier in the day which means they can go to the after-school activities quicker and basically end the day quicker,” said Mahima Khan, a student athlete at Edison.

“There’s something about that early morning energy that really sets the tone for the rest of the day. I find myself fully engaged and ready to make the most out of my classes. It’s a routine that works well for me,” said Ren Deslouches, a student at Edison.

As we’ve explored the topic in depth, it becomes clear that there are valid arguments on both sides, each with its own reasons and considerations. On one hand, the CDC highlights the negative effects of early school start times on student well-being, emphasizing the importance of sleep for academic performance and overall health. However, some students, like Mahima Khan and Ren Deslouches, believe it sets the tone for a productive day. They value the opportunity to end school earlier, which provides more time for after-school activities or other commitments.

Therefore, the discussions are driven by a shared curiosity and a commitment to improving the overall school experience. It’s unclear what decisions will be made regarding school start times in the future, but one thing is clear, the Edison community is engaged, passionate, and invested in finding the best solution for everyone.

Sabiqur Liza

Hi! My name is Sabiqur Liza, I am a Junior, and I write mainly in the General News section. I am interested in a broad selection of things such as exploring new places, trying new foods, taking the scenic route, and learning. I am someone who loves to delve into all sorts of stuff which is perfect for the General News section. I will bring a variety of news to you all and I hope you enjoy it!!