What makes lentil meatless meatballs healthier better than your average meat-filled meatball?
Meatless meatballs can be made a variety of meat substitutes such as tempeh, tofu, or lentils; a variety of vegetables like carrots and celery, and our favorite fungus – mushrooms! I chose to include carrots and lentils. Lentils are a form of legumes which are a great source of protein, fiber, and minerals. Meat is also great source of protein, but is accompanied by cholesterol and saturated fats.
Why use flaxseeds as an egg substitute? Flaxseeds contain fiber, protein, omega-3, vitamin B1, iron, and minerals. Using flaxseeds will help to lower cholesterol while boosting digestive health, a much better option than your average egg.
Eating vegan meatballs is also the ethical choice – save an animal’s life and suffering by eating cruelty free!
Serves: approximately 2 dozen vegan lentil meatballs
Ingredients for lentil ball mixture:
1 cup brown lentils
2 cups of carrots, shredded
½ cup flat parsley leaves
2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed and 5 tablespoons of water)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
½ teaspoon black pepper (optional)
2 cloves of garlic
½ cup of onion, diced
Ingredients for lentil ball coating:
⅔ cup vegan panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Boil lentils in a pot over medium heat for 25 minutes. When finished, remove from heat and drain excess water.
- Prepare the flax eggs mixture by combining 2 tablespoon of ground flaxseed and 5 tablespoons of water, stirring well. Let set for at least 10 minutes before use.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized skillet over medium to high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, carrots, dried oregano, dried basil, salt, black pepper and saute until the carrots are tender.
- In a food processor, combine the carrot mixture, lentils, parsley and flax eggs. Blend the mixture to enough break down but not smooth. Transfer to large bowl.
- Use a tablespoon scoop of the lentil ball mixture and round into balls.
- Add the panko breadcrumbs into a bowl; roll in the balls one at a time to coat them.
- Prepare a baking sheet add the meatballs, spacing evenly. Add to the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Add lentil balls to your desired dish.
You must be logged in to post a comment.